My First Attempt To Color Manga

Frank

Ecchi Lëader of Bakas
Dec 30, 2010
Hope i posted this in the right section o.o

================================================================

Heh well Just began Reading beelzebub the other day and come across this manga page, and thought id give a shot a coloring it, (My first try at doing this)

Made this (Original)

xj9r1.png

Into This My Colored version

8t8aw.png

CnC are welcomed ^-^

The color is nicely made but with a few remake (of tone) i can say. the kanata's steel should be a little lighter (not pure gray). the right upper corner (window and ceiling) should not mix much with the background. hope this helps for your improvement.

Reactions: Frank
Ah thank you ^^
Oh and someone told me the sword was a wooden sword lol, so it should be brown wooden color lol
But yeah i understand what ya mean

So how did you color them or what method did you use to color them frank?

Hope i posted this in the right section o.o

Yup, you did post at the right section. ^^

Comments: I don't do electronic coloring but more of the manual ones... Shitotaku is right, the color of the katana should be lighter, maybe leave few white accents to make it look shiny + the lighter gray shades. Shadowing's nice but if you intend to make it more "real life"-ish, you could prolly develop your lighter-to-darker shadowing. ^^ but if you aim to make it anime/cartoon type, that would do, I guess. :]

If you also look in the upper drawing, her hand was a little bit grayish.. You might want to add color details to the fixtures as well. ^^ Good job for first try... One more thing I can say is that coloring depends on your style and your intention.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frank
So how did you color them or what method did you use to color them frank?

Ah, don't know how to explain in detail in a quick explanation, but i can do for the gist of things ^^

Fist step:

You open up PS, and Get your selected Page
ybzth.png

and and make a duplicate

Then:

You set the top layer to "Multiply" This will separate the white pixes from the line art

bfp93.png

After That you just make other layers between those,
vuhdi.png

in those you color the things you want to color, this helps with
Organizing your sections, and you notice that you wont go over the original line art ^^
xch27.png

and when you complete one task or coloring, say background you lock it, so you can color erase w/o
worrinng of coloring or erasing the stuff you already did, Or if you want to shade at one part
1xpq2.png

See how the darker blue won't go any where else when you lock it ^^

Well that's how about I can explain it in a basic lol
I could go in to detail and make a tut thread but meh kinda lazy ^-^ (and busy moderating a forum <.<)
Well Hope that's what ya asked

--Frank---
=============================================================================

Ah and thank you for the feed back pinkylicious ^^, I'll try to fix up on things then

Last edited:
Ow, so that's how you did it. nice one frank, you could try shadowing effects like what pinky said,

Still needs more toning --like shadow and darker shadow shade.
add a bit of red to her lips or pink..
needs highlights
soften the shade on her white cape (lower right), by using a soft eraser brush.

A+ for your first attempt though :D

How I can say :D ! You are on the way to become the master in the world of Manga disigner Try better my friend!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

RXxxxxx wrote on UFO's profile.
Hi,
The latest version of Bloodroot, ver.1.1.5.0, is out. Could you upload this?
Thx!
mobius0417 wrote on Shine's profile.
✨Shine✨[240215][umyn] 異世界転生マジカルチンポ 完全版 [RJ01154724]
Please re-upload
Elaina-San wrote on UFO's profile.
Hii! do you by any chance have this post archive by でじまら or dejimara? FANBOX 2023年05月号 the one that includes Elaina?
Thanks!
Redlof wrote on Shine's profile.
Hello, can you please reupload https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ154687.html & https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ269035.html (mexa or rosefile) & Part 3 of this on mexa if it's not a problem - https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ262921.html (threads too long to link, sorry)