Japan's Best Tourist Attraction

Keitaro Urashima

Elite Member
Contributor
Sep 2, 2011
I was planning to go Japan this April and May, but the all hotel is fully booked. I'm planning go to Osaka and Tokyo. Which of two cities have "must see first" tourist attraction? Is it true that all Japanese don't speak English?

Reactions: fguelffstan
What they say that all Japanese don't speak English is absolutely false, at least for me. If they're people on business e.g. shops and restaurants they'll almost always speak English to me even if I speak Japanese at their faces. I think they're just trying to do their best to help tourists. Signs are different though. Apart from warning signs I rarely find anything else written in English.

I can't really compare Osaka and Tokyo, because I've never been to Osaka. I've only ever been to Tokyo and Kanagawa. And I think what is must see depends on each person's interests. For me, I tend to avoid shopping centers like the plague and visit places like museums and shrines. The only place I've ever spent heavily in is Akihabara.

Hmm, I agree with Franky: It'd really a big shame be for an highly industrial- and cultural developed country, if he or she no English speak would... - I watch often the Japanese news channel NHK World: The moderators/commentators there speak nearly or fluent good English, without that there synchronized were.

This question is then so what of needless, like the question: That a cube in a round hole passing would...:goodtea:

Edit: I was (unhappily) until now never in/on Japan, but expect Akihabara, I'd the Ise shrine in Tokyo and the old castle in Osaka visit.

Last edited:
hmm... Probably you should think that you can't communicate in English than you think. In a shop and the public facilities, you will not need to worry very much. Anyone enumerates words and will try a conversation hard. However, it will be difficult if you ask a person walking in the town and are going to talk them. If there are Tokyo and Osaka, the person who can speak English is one of 20 people. In other local cities, it will be one of 50 people.

The places that you should go in Tokyo and Osaka are different what you want to do. If there is the general tourist attraction that is unrelated to anime and game, they are as follows.

- Tokyo
Asakusa
Akihabara
Harajuku (Takeshita Street and Omote Sandou)
Meiji Jingu Shrine
Tokyo Tower
Tsukiji Outer Market
Tokyo Disney Resort
Ooedo Onsen Monogatari (Hot spring)
Ghibli Museum, Mitaka
Ryōgoku Kokugikan (Sumo stadium / Sumo museum)
Robot Restaurant

- Yokohama, Kanagawa
Cupnoodles Museum
Shin-Yokohama Ramen Museum

- Osaka
Dotonbori and Shinsai-bashi
Tsutenkaku
Osaka Castle
Osaka Aquarium KAIYUKAN
Universal Studios Japan
Space Station Bar, Osaka

- Kyoto
Fushimi Inari Taisha Shrine
Nijo Castle
Kinkakuji Temple
Kiyomizu dera Temple
Toei Eiga Mura (Toei Kyoto Studio Park)
etc.

I know OP is probably in Japan already, but for reference's sake:

You don't need to speak a word of Japanese to get around downtown Tokyo, particularly the tourist spots. The place is a Gaijin mecca and there is always a non-Japanese tourist or ex-pat around to ask for directions. Osaka is cosmopolitan, but nowhere to the extent of Tokyo.

Don't limit yourself to hotels. I found Hostels were great value and in very convenient locations. Be aware that the foreigners that stay there ironically tend to be more "Japanese" when it comes to being polite and considerate, so be on your best behaviour. It's also a great place to find a travelling buddy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

lenlen wrote on Shine's profile.
ybz378938171 wrote on Otokonoko's profile.
would you please re-upload RJ01165403 RJ01165876 RJ01166085 RJ01167465 RJ01168773 RJ01169912 in mexa ? thx
marcusfinly wrote on gengariscool's profile.
Thanks once again for all of the great posts