How many people play eroges without using any text-translation programs?

Masolles56

Banned
Dec 28, 2012
I'm just curious to know how many of people here on Animesharing plays eroges without using any text-translation programs. So, how many people here play eroges without using any text-translation programs?

Reactions: efudgewayne
I'm one of those folks.

I have a few physical dictionaries on my desk, a limited use JPN dictionary app on my phone, and a radical looker site to help, though.

Being able to pick up bits and pieces is more than enough to have fun. To know the story? Well, maybe next time for me.

I play h-games without any translation , i don't like it to see or hear a english translation of a game . . . i rather hear it and understand it in japanese as it should be. it is very very very very very rarely i would use anything like that even if i don't get a word or a line.

I'm one of those folks.

I have a few physical dictionaries on my desk, a limited use JPN dictionary app on my phone, and a radical looker site to help, though.

Being able to pick up bits and pieces is more than enough to have fun. To know the story? Well, maybe next time for me.

I see. As for me, I've been studying Japanese since 2009, so I got most of the Kanji characters somewhat in my head, along with the words that come with it (As for the Katakana words which I have yet to know, I can just go to Denshi Jisho on the internet to check out the English equivalent). That was the first thing I did, the Hiragana and Katakana, then the Kanji. After that I spent months studying the grammar, vocabulary expansion and such, and now I can just play it raw without any text translation. Of course, I would be pretty shy and hesitant if asked to speak Japanese in public, since I mostly spend my time reading it with zero speaking experience, but would do so if I have no other choice.

Playing eroge is my main reason for learning Japanese, and I'm glad I did so. :8 Of course, I also read light novels too, when good games are lacking in any given month.

You crazy ? If I play and eroge without translation I won't understand anything to the story lol.
WeLl, there are some sentences I get just hearing them but honestly 90% of the content would be incomprehensible for me without any translation. You guys must be huge expert of Jap language if you are able to get an eroge content without any translation program.

You crazy ? If I play and eroge without translation I won't understand anything to the story lol.
WeLl, there are some sentences I get just hearing them but honestly 90% of the content would be incomprehensible for me without any translation. You guys must be huge expert of Jap language if you are able to get an eroge content without any translation program.

HA i wish xD , but if you listen to it like listening to music , anime , games , movies alot you start getting used to the language and you start understanding it , it was the same for me and english i was just a kid back then but all i did was learn it true hearing and laters on the internet came and thus i began to typ it and all im not saying i have a 100% in english but you get the drift :p.

Actually, it's not that high of Japanese skill you need to just get thru the story and have fun...but the "not that high" is actually quite a bit.

Let's just say that it's not like you are going to read a brochure of a plastic molder in Japanese or a Japanese newspaper...

I think after watching so much anime and playing many eroges phrases become so common and repeatedly beaten into your head that you are able make out the entire sentence. But the translation programs become very useful when I'm translating a doujin. The middle line between simplicity and still having it turn you on or have it formally translated but still make it a fappable material

Japanese originality at it's finest,I never use translations at all,english text translations never brings out 100% of the proper meaning to the japanese language it's rather an altered hellishly stupid incorrect definition being defined by the english translation.

Japanese origin works at it's best,altering it to another language which does not mean the correct and proper term is a disgraceful insult to the japanese language.

i was educated in Japan for 3 years+ despite not staying there anymore i still consider Japan my 3rd home,it was that very same living experience there that got me supremely interested in the world of eroge anime otakuism something that made me neglect the real world and real women permanently,however if there are words or certain different Kanji Katakana and Hiragana sentences that i am unable to understand i will consult my younger brother for the proper Japanese meaning term to the word or sentence,he has been living in japan for 8 years,he is also my main source/supplier for purchasing genuine Eroge Hgames otaku anime products figurines and rare japan exclusive only wonder festival garage kit figurines^-^

Unless he is unable to attend to my needs then i will resort to the original Japanese dictionary or consult another close japanese friend.

Japanese originality at it's finest,I never use translations at all,english text translations never brings out 100% of the proper meaning to the japanese language it's rather an altered hellishly stupid incorrect definition being defined by the english translation.

Japanese origin works at it's best,altering it to another language which does not mean the correct and proper term is a disgraceful insult to the japanese language.

i was educated in Japan for 3 years+ despite not staying there anymore i still consider Japan my 3rd home,it was that very same living experience there that got me supremely interested in the world of eroge anime otakuism something that made me neglect the real world and real women permanently,however if there are words or certain different Kanji Katakana and Hiragana sentences that i am unable to understand i will consult my younger brother for the proper Japanese meaning term to the word or sentence,he has been living in japan for 8 years,he is also my main source/supplier for purchasing genuine Eroge Hgames otaku anime products figurines and rare japan exclusive only wonder festival garage kit figurines^-^

Unless he is unable to attend to my needs then i will resort to the original Japanese dictionary or consult another close japanese friend.

Although you have a point that japanese eroges are best at it's original. That doesn't mean there aren't any japanese or of japanese descent that can translate
the eroge down to every meaning of the word. I know several languages and some japanese and when i translate english to spanish or vice versa people say the translation is spot on. I have a friend that helps me translate some japanese "slang" that i don't know but that's about it. I would usually just play a short eroge without translation but if its an eroge that has paragraphs upon paragraphs of text i still need that little bit of translation to put two things together and reorganize it all on my head. Partly i blame myself for not being dedicated to the japanese language and not having practiced for year. But my point is in response to your reply is that there are many capable non-japanese native speakers that can translate eroges, create an english patch, and still retain every japanese word of its meaning...because if that were the case I'd feel sorry for those that don't know japanese and would have no choice but to watch an anime unsubbed or read a doujin in plain japanese.

@wolfravage:
@pingtoryian:

Well sure that playing an eroge is not as difficult as reading a japanese article on a newspaper or read the last Naruto chapter 2 hrs after it came out but my japanese skills are very low to get the story just hearing. Generally, to get more or less a language, you have to read not just listening. Reading allows you remember caracters, signification ... At my personal level, I don't know 97% of japanese caracters xD
I can have a conversation in english, spanish or italian because I have many classes since high-school but unfortunatelly I didn't had same with japanese language I know just by watching some anime or playing some eroges. I definitely won't go far with this lol

Hmmm...
Well for me personally I only read untranslated eroge n VN when there are no translations.
Basically when you play enough of them even if some translations are sketchy its still readable and definitely better than reading it RAW.

However, waiting for translations or certain projects that are never going to be translated is kinda bad for me.
Imma not patient, so based on anime and all that, I learn to listen to the voice and understand.
Hiragana and katakana I learned it myself. These are easy and if u play and study, its easy to pick up. Meaning the sheet beside you as you play it RAW.

The problem would be the kanji whereby I just let it go mostly. I pick it up along the way
Playing a few eroge, you pick up the simpler or should I say more common words.
As for the story, I will play through and see if i understand if not, I look for reviews to get a better view.
Played and playing a few eroge and its worked out for me so far.

Just one thing though, as with all things, you need effort.
The more often you play or read up and polish ur japanese from the net or whatever, the better it is.

Haha lazy to use the AGTH and all that so i do not use it :P

Haha, thought this thread existed long ago.

Well, will still answer again anyway. Nope. I dont use translators as well as majority of the crowd here. For one, I have never been educated or taught the language. My knowledge and 'expertise' of the language was self-obtained and taught. Chuunibyou period (when I was 14-16) made me immensely crazed about anime, which resulted in extreme long hours of watching and picking up the language. I wouldnt say I picked up a lot of anime titles back and even until now (40+ shows per season for the past 1 year, which makes up for 160 a year not counting ova/movie).

I wasnt really ready to play in the beginning without learning the language again. So i did pick up and memorise the hira and kata charts myself. As I could already listen and speak (abeit without proper training and education, my jap language is kinda vulgar and un-orthodox) sentences and watch raw/translate episodes without any trouble already, reading became easy for me. First it was just piecing the hira and kata together, then identifying the kanjis which I would know just what the entire sentence meant. I not relied on any dictionary of sorts, all has been my own personal extension of the language and hard work to make out whatever that i may not understand.

I wont bash english translations/subs. However, playing original transcends all as its the originality of the text that the writers are trying to bring forward, meanings which are probably lost in translation.

I'm not using either any translation in english and I only read untranslated eroge too. Nevertheless, I'm using furigana (Romaji , it's help me a lot) for each sentence with Translation aggregator. that's all. I can speak and understand japanese. But read... it's more difficult hahaha :).

I can play eroge, VN and read Light novel from original japanese language... but when I lazy, I prefer one that have english patch, because my kanji still messed up unless there's a hiragana above kanji character...
There's so many kanji out there my level still N3, I think just know about 500 kanji now... well when playing eroge and VN it's not a big deal now for me, but when read LN or trying read japanese website it's still difficult

I started reading translated VNs only, but after a while, I slowly moved to reading untranslated ones. It was very difficult in the beginning, and even gave up once, but it's really different when you read non-translated VNs. I agree to the point that it's awkward reading them in English (ahh, Majikoi), which I would "blame" on the differences in the cultures English and Japanese came from. Unfortunately though, I still need a lot of help from ITH and TA as I'm not proficient when it comes to reading. Half of the time, I would check TA for the reading and definition. Sad part, I still have to make sense of things on my own and it's difficult when the line involves idiomatic expressions wherein translation programs seem to fall short on.

Most of the Japanese I know are only from self-study and exposure to anime. Well, now, I've also learned some from VNs themselves.

tell guys, seem there are some of you with sufficient Japanese knowledges to play an Eroge without any tranlation program help. Would you mind helping translating some eroges plot please ?

May be some of you already noticed it lately, Wolfravage is doing an awesome job presenting next upcoming H-Games with discution, debates, introduction ... to complete his presentations, translated plots of these upcoming games would be awesome.
That's why we need help from you guys to do a translation (mainly getchu's synopsis). The more volunteers we have, the better it will.
Thank you.

日本語が話せるんやから、使ってあらへんやわ

I can't read/hear japanese and i dont like using translation program, so its kind of a dead end for me :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

Glaymez wrote on Shine's profile.
Will you upload this game by any chance? That would be amazing

https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ01198627.html - 犯られたままじゃおわれないっ!!
Mistersmiles wrote on ramori's profile.
Hi Ramori,

Could you please upload this? https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ01197309.html

The draught seems to be over, and interesting games are coming out one after another.

Thanks a ton!
In the trenches desperate to play Shiro to Kuro no Alice
awsater wrote on Otokonoko's profile.
Could you update RJ01114470 please? It's in 12 parts, but parts 7 and 9 are missing. There are no problems with the rest.
Irish99 wrote on Nihonjaki90's profile.
Hello can you please reupload いたずらっ娘 ~うちの娘にかぎって to katfile or mexashare if you have the time.