Question Please let us block users.

MelonCakey

Uploader
Trusted Member
Aug 27, 2014
I've already contacted staff to ask about this and was informed that blocking users is not a feature because the forum is public. I'm here to openly suggest it please become a feature, because I do not agree with that personally.

The forum being public is more of a reason we should be able to block users, not less. In any setting where people gather like this, there are bound to be some bad eggs, and we should be able to protect ourselves from that. If a user were to harass us on site, are we just supposed to put up with that?

As an uploader it also makes me feel more vulnerable, and I would appreciate the peace of mind that I could block someone who may seem suspect.

Either way, thank you for taking the time to hear me out.

If someone harass you on this site please use report to let us know, or you can also ignore him/her by click "ignore" button on his/her profile.

Reactions: darri23
Upvote 4
If someone harass you on this site please use report to let us know, or you can also ignore him/her by click "ignore" button on his/her profile.

Thank you, I'm glad that that's an option. But from my understanding, ignoring a user doesn't seem to stop them from seeing what you post, which in my opinion should be a given, unless I've somehow misunderstood the reply I was given.

I don't want to come across as ungrateful for the option to let moderation know if harassment occurs, that's not my intention, but I think we should also have the ability ourselves to do something so simple, whether it's harassment or just not wanting someone to see our profile/what we post.

Reactions: otome! and darri23
Upvote 1
it is simply not possible to stop anyone from seeing what you post simply because this is a public forum. This website wide open to the internet.

We are talking about impossibility here

Upvote 5
What would stop them from just viewing this forum logged out?

I'm talking about what we as members post specifically. We have the Hide function, and that can limit who sees content we post in some way. But we don't have that same protection against fellow site members. This is a very basic feature most forums have, how is it impossible?

Upvote 1
The reason is that blocked users can simply log out or use another account to view your content, effectively bypassing any block you have put in place. This makes it impossible to guarantee the kind of protection a block feature is intended to provide.

The "Hide" function is designed to offer some control over who can view specific content. However, because the overall forum is public, anything posted can potentially be seen by anyone who takes those steps.

Upvote 3
The reason is that blocked users can simply log out or use another account to view your content, effectively bypassing any block you have put in place. This makes it impossible to guarantee the kind of protection a block feature is intended to provide.

The "Hide" function is designed to offer some control over who can view specific content. However, because the overall forum is public, anything posted can potentially be seen by anyone who takes those steps.
I'm coming here a few months later, but I still don't see the issue? Not everyone is crazy enough to make a new account just to harass people again, so it'd be at least a layer of barrier, and if they do create a new account, just like any other social media or open space, you can just block every other account, and i do hope moderation will try to do something if it's someone crazy enough to create multiple accounts

and most important is that it creates a peace of mind to the harassed user, even if the crazy person might create a new account and stalk them for whatever reason, it wont be a mental burden for the harassed person who isnt aware of it, while not being able to block that one person can make the harassed person not even want to engage on the forum again

Upvote 1
I'm coming here a few months later, but I still don't see the issue? Not everyone is crazy enough to make a new account just to harass people again, so it'd be at least a layer of barrier, and if they do create a new account, just like any other social media or open space, you can just block every other account, and i do hope moderation will try to do something if it's someone crazy enough to create multiple accounts

and most important is that it creates a peace of mind to the harassed user, even if the crazy person might create a new account and stalk them for whatever reason, it wont be a mental burden for the harassed person who isnt aware of it, while not being able to block that one person can make the harassed person not even want to engage on the forum again

It seems there is some confusion. We actually already have an ignore function that does exactly what you are requesting.

The ignore feature prevents you from seeing this person's content, including posts, threads, private messages, and profiles.

Please make use of this functionality.

The discussion about blocking and ignoring can be bewildering for members who are not familiar with these terms.

blocking prevents the other party from viewing your content
ignore prevents you from viewing the other party's content.

Blocking is not possible on a public forum, it doesn't do what you want it to do. Please mind the difference.

Should I rename Ignore to Block into prevent this type of confusion again?

Last edited:
Upvote 3
I didn't confuse anything? what's needed is to block the other party from seeing our posts as well

i just said that what you talked about "they can log out/create another account to still see them" isn't that much of an issue since it's also the case on other platforms (insta etc.), but a BLOCK (Bully user from seing Harassed user's post and not the other way around) function would at least create a peace of mind to the harassed user so that they think the bully cant see what they post. Also, not everyone is crazy enough to log out/create another account just to stalk/harass again so it would be an effective barrier layer. I'm not saying the ignore function has no purpose, i think it's a good first step, what i'm saying is that blocking a user from saying any of our posts would bd great as well.

I don't understand how you misunderstood what I said to this extend, i'm sorry if i wasnt clear enough

Upvote 1
I didn't confuse anything? what's needed is to block the other party from seeing our posts as well

i just said that what you talked about "they can log out/create another account to still see them" isn't that much of an issue since it's also the case on other platforms (insta etc.), but a BLOCK (Bully user from seing Harassed user's post and not the other way around) function would at least create a peace of mind to the harassed user so that they think the bully cant see what they post. Also, not everyone is crazy enough to log out/create another account just to stalk/harass again so it would be an effective barrier layer. I'm not saying the ignore function has no purpose, i think it's a good first step, what i'm saying is that blocking a user from saying any of our posts would bd great as well.

I don't understand how you misunderstood what I said to this extend, i'm sorry if i wasnt clear enough

Maybe I somehow wasn't clear enough as well, so I apologize if that's the case.

It is as otome! says though - what I requested was a block feature, which is not the same as the ignore feature currently available. Myself (and I'm sure others) would like the option to block users from seeing not just our posts, but our profiles as well. Viewing the site logged off should restrict what people can see as is; I'm simply asking for the option to let us block our posts/profiles from both other users and people not logged in. Saying it's impossible because it's a public forum makes no sense, because other public forums have options like this. As long as staff members can't be blocked, I don't see what the problem would be.

Please do not rename Ignore to Block, because they are two different things. We do not currently have an actual Block feature, that's why I made this thread. If I don't want another user to see my posts/profile, the Ignore function isn't going to help me in anyway with dealing with that.

Reactions: otome!
Upvote 1
Your profile and post is publicly visible from the open internet. We cannot CHANGE our core principles of operation. This is not the place for those who seek an exclusive, members-only club.

If you do not want to be visible, simply do not register on Anime-Sharing. If you do not want to be harassed by another member on this forum, simply click "Ignore" on the said user.

As long as we remain an open forum, blocking is impossible.

This is my final statement regarding the Block feature.

Last edited:
Upvote 5

Users who are viewing this thread