Some stuff that I drew.

Hm.. that policewoman looks perfect to me... err.. I mean, coloring-wise >_<
Now I'm really interested to see other Gigatron's art - in full color mode :3

Btw, your pencil art is so clean.. @_@ what's the secret behind it?

Reactions: Gigatron
Sorry, should have been more clear. ^^; When I said disproportionate, I meant the hands. But I get that it's mostly the art style, so don't worry too much about it! I'm just too used to seeing my own art style.

Ah, no worries then! That's the tricky bit about styles I suppose, sometimes it's hard to tell what's intended and what's not (unless it's a really glaring mistake, which I'm capable of making too, lol).

Since we were talking about colouring and whatnot, I reckon I should post some coloured ones for your approval. Some of these are old, so there will be some differences to my other stuff as I was still developing my style at the time.

Guess I'll start with the infamous policewoman drawing. This is one of the newest coloured ones I have, done with the method I currently use to ink/shade. You'll notice a difference with my avatar, namely the nose. My older drawings have a more pronounced nose, which I eventually switched for the "traditional" tiny anime nose.

Last edited:
Reactions: redcat
[MENTION=7468]Gigatron[/MENTION] : Wow... those pics are fantastic... I really like your coloring (and your art in general) >_<
Please be my teacher~ *bow*
I'll call you Gigatron-sensei from now on! :3 <3 :D

Back to the pic... I agree that the small nose definitely looks better/cuter. Especially Yoshiko-chan <3. And I like how you do the soft highlight on the hair of the police woman and Yoshiko-chan. How many layers did you use for coloring each picture? I presume you use Photoshop? (or maybe SAI?)

Looking at your current portfolio, you could even work in an animation studio. If you couldn't make a manga of those characters, how about making A Visual Novel? You still have to think about the story, but at least it's not as time-consuming as making a full-length manga series...

Hmm vn... that takes quite a bit of time too doesnt it? Though i guess you could keep using the same drawings unlike a manga xD

Theres quite a bit of improvement from your drawing of osaka to the newer ones~ Shading and other technical stuff~

You seem to know quite a lot of languages xD

[MENTION=34114]redcat[/MENTION]: Thank you ^_^' Though I'm not sure if I'm good enough to work in anything like an animation studio, maybe after some years, perhaps. I wish I could make a visual novel, it seems like it'd be fun to do.

About layers, it depends, but usually I have one layer for the linework, one layer for colours, one or more for highlights and one or more for shadows. Little details (blush, text, insignia, etc.) often get their own layers. Usually I'll make separate layers for the eyes since a lot goes into them, and finally any background layers. The policewomen had 11 layers not including the background stuff, same for Yoshiko. I use Photoshop. I have Manga Studio as well, but I'm not very good with it yet.

[MENTION=8332]samyeung46[/MENTION]: Thanks! I'm glad I've improved. :) I don't know that many languages, sometimes I have to look stuff up for certain ones.

Also so I don't come empty-handed, I brought some stuff. I forgot I had these, actually. These were done at work, during very slow days where no customers came to my department. I found a big notepad and so I started doodling with my pen. I don't usually use pen, so the drawings are very sloppy, but they were fun to make and helped kill some time.

Last edited:
Good colouring! Nice and clean and good use of colours. Though I would like to see more shadows/highlights for more overall depth. ^^

And GOSH, you call that a doodle? But those are really tidy! I really like that picture of Nozomi. How do you shade it in so evenly?

Lol doodles xD Theyre somewhat more than a doodle~ Pen usually makes me do more precise work since its kind of hard to fix pen marks...
Drawing does kill quite a lot of time... could be good for bored situation and bad if theres a time limit xD

[MENTION=29831]thecoins[/MENTION] & Samyeung46 : sometimes we need the time limit to get things done. Especially for perfectionists and procrastinators (like my self) :D

[MENTION=7468]Gigatron[/MENTION] : Your 'doodles' are very clean and neat! And I like how you draw the extremities (i.e Nozomi's hand). I see that you have a good grasp of anatomy. :3

Btw, just curious... do you work at a supermarket?

hm... i do need time limit for homework or else it'll never be done

Lol yes... procrastinators and perfectionists xD that just compounds the problems...

Thank you all so much. ^_^'

I don't usually like pen, because as it was mentioned, I can't fix any mistakes. I always try to find a pencil, but if I can't then I have to stick to my pen that I carry with me. The shading just comes from scribbling in very fast with the same amount of pressure to keep it even, but it doesn't look as good in pen as when I do it with a pencil.

[MENTION=34114]redcat[/MENTION]: Thank you, I'm glad you said that because anatomy is one of the things I had to work the hardest at. I don't work at a supermarket, but I work at an office-supply store. I often got placed in the furniture department, which is all the way in the back of the store and has the least customers, so I can draw while nobody's looking. Nowadays I'm getting put in a more busy department so I can't draw any more...

It's funny you should mention it though, because the supermarket manga I was trying to make, was based around my experiences working in a store (I made it a supermarket because it seemed more funny). The characters are mostly based on my co-workers (and myself, if you can guess who, lol), and the stories were all based on stuff that actually happened at work.

[MENTION=8332]samyeung46[/MENTION]: I don't like time limits either. Luckily in 8-hour long days with no customers, I have plenty of time to sketch away if I want to. Except I do have to make sure I don't get caught. XD

Hmm well pen leaves a somewhat more constant amount of ink while pencils can vary depending on the softness/hardness of the lead and the pressure put on it... need to use other technique to shade with pens...

Is it easy to get caught? xD Or are you sort of hidden somewhat?

It's only easy to get caught if people are actually out to catch you. Sometimes one of the more by-the-book managers will be patrolling the aisles. Usually it's safe though, and most of my managers don't really care if I do it as long as I still help customers.

I am a bit hidden as well. If you can visualise it, my department is all the way to the back, so I have a view of the other departments in front of me, and I'm sort of blocked behind some aisles. So, I can see/hear people coming before they see me, which gives me time to hide the notebook if I need to.

Also I always start drawing on the second or third page of the book, so if someone comes, I can just flip the blank pages over it and pretend like I have the book to take notes or something work-related. XD

Well yeah i suppose xD Nothing to really complain about if theres actually nothing to do~ But they might give you more work if they do catch you.. :/

Lol have the second page as a page of notes and maybe the first page too~ Make it seem somewhat more work like xD

Certain pens can actually work like pencils! There is a artist who uses pens like pencils (forgot his name X\). This can only be done using BALLPOINT pens tho :D I've also done something like that before. I tried it because I saw one of my professor drawing with a ballpoint pen.

From what I've seen from your drawings, you draw pretty solidly. Strong lines and solid shadows. I would have thought you'd opt for a pen.
I bet you ink pretty quickly with you lines ahaha I have the most notorious drawing sickness ("too many broken lines"). Hell to ink.

Found the ballpoint pen artist ^^ He uses a sharpie for solid blacks.
His video is here --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu7Y3KID8AQ

Last edited:
[MENTION=26902]altsi[/MENTION]: Indeed, the at-work doodles were done with my trusty ballpoint. It's a regular nothing-fancy pen but I love drawing with it. And it's true, out of all the pens I've tried, regular ballpoints really do feel the most like pencils. The only reason I don't draw more with them is because I tend to change details a lot so I do a lot of erasing, which I can't do with a pen (there's those erasable pens, but they're not very good for drawing, smudges too easily). Sharpies are fun too, but I'm not that good at using them.

You'd think it'd be easy for me to ink my drawings given my preference for clean and solid lines, but in reality it takes me forever to ink a drawing, which is why I rarely ever finish them! Though that's more the fault of my inefficient way of inking than anything else, lol.

Hmm well yes i found pens to be... able to make lighter shades and whatnot... to some degree... pencil is still more useful overall and theres all those different types of pencils too :/ I can make light lines with even the darkest pencils though ;p Was fun to see people's reaction when the drawing with 9B turned out light~

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

Glaymez wrote on Shine's profile.
Will you upload this game by any chance? That would be amazing

https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ01198627.html - 犯られたままじゃおわれないっ!!
Mistersmiles wrote on ramori's profile.
Hi Ramori,

Could you please upload this? https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ01197309.html

The draught seems to be over, and interesting games are coming out one after another.

Thanks a ton!
In the trenches desperate to play Shiro to Kuro no Alice
awsater wrote on Otokonoko's profile.
Could you update RJ01114470 please? It's in 12 parts, but parts 7 and 9 are missing. There are no problems with the rest.
Irish99 wrote on Nihonjaki90's profile.
Hello can you please reupload いたずらっ娘 ~うちの娘にかぎって to katfile or mexashare if you have the time.