[Discussions] SOTM #33 - August / September 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
But you're making also wallpapers, or? - Where then it shouldn't really a big deal for you be. If we an solid rule about it - especially about the banner's resolution area - have once, then should it work. And there were also the veto votes from the staff: They'd decide which benner(s) for an single day for ASF match would.

But let's wait for an reply from Ignis...

I am making walpapers without problem... but at any rate we will wait and see!

A yearly banner contest? The premise isn't bad at all, but having the winning entry of a contest that happens only once a year displayed only for a single day sounds excessively disrespectful. I'd hate to be treated that way, so there's no way I'd subject any member to such a treatment (unless said entry totally bothers us in some way, in which case we wouldn't display it as the forum banner at all).

Actually, we've long considered having a similar contest. Long before the Symphony skin was even born (it's been almost two years now). I'll give you the end of the story first: like most of our plans and ideas, it simply got shelved along with the rest of them as we have our hands too full with other matters. As for the details of the contest (as we had it planned, anyway), we had pretty much calculated the views both of you expressed as well; in particular, the part about us staff having the final veto as well as concerns about the banner looking good.

We had planned to lay out the groundwork for the entries. We were planning to have a fair amount of restrictions, including things such as who (as in which characters) had to be present in the banner, what game―suffice it to say that anime characters wouldn't be sanctioned by Checkmate us, unless they are based on eroge―they came from, which artist(s) illustrated the artwork, what theme the banner should represent, what general colour palette had to be present... things like that. We had even thought of making a certain amount of banners and then have members choose. That way, whichever won, it'd be something that had gained our approval beforehand.

So, yes, in one word: restrictive. On the one hand, we wanted to make sure that the most prominent part of the forum that appears on every single public page was something we'd like to look at. On the other hand, we didn't really feel like making a context with overly cumbersome restrictions and guidelines. It'd feel like we were trying to take advantage of members to work for us instead. Just like that, the idea slowly faded into obscurity.

Also, the banner in and of itself does need to have a fair amount of restrictions and considerations. For example, take a look at the base groundwork for the banner image:
public.php
The base dimensions are 1920x300. See all those vertical lines and colour differences? They denote different widths: 1600, 1440, 1366, 1280, 1024 (as shown on the layer list). Yes, you guessed it right: standard screen widths. While the banner is meant to be best viewed on 1920px-wide screens, we also had to consider other screen sizes (sorry, 2560+px screen users!) to make sure everything within the central focus of the banner is still present even on small screens.

Reactions: espiekerella
[MENTION=114711]maybelline[/MENTION]; If i am not be rude, from which site are you coming from? Also don't worry in time you will get used to the forum's functions!

Aha, well, the site isn't anything like this one (actually, it basically shares almost no similarities. I just mean it's one of the only "forum" like sites I've ever been on.) but either way, it's Wattpad! It's a reading/writing site but it has a large forum dedicated to various things, such as designing and coding. I spent most of my time there, so I'm accustomed to their coding and such, you know? And thank you!

@Maybe - Lol, don't worry about it, be brave - We won't hurt you, you're always welcome here, if you some bothersome situations have, then come to us, and then we'll it together solve the problem.^_^!

(i'm assuming that was directed to me, because of "maybe" // "maybelline" whoops) That's really reassuring, thank you! I wish people back at my other forums were as nice as you guys. Back over there it's drama everywhere. (people stealing, people causing fights, it's a whole mess)

No, don't mind. I'd say hoping to be complimented is fair so long as you don't actually go around asking for it. After all, to many people (especially those who work hard to showcase something), appreciation is all the reward they need for their effort.

I agree with you on the feedback part. I guess it's fair to assume that not everyone who is a good practitioner in certain schools of art is also good at writing and expressing their opinions, much like how not everyone skilled at a certain subject is also good at teaching said subject. There's also the possibility that those who don't offer detailed criticisms don't want to be seen as being lecturing (and, depending on how well they convey what they want to say, some comments can inadvertently end up condescending).

Finally, yes, you're allowed to edit your entry as many times as you like before the deadline. There's still plenty of time. And you're welcome.

Yeah, I guess so. But it's safe to say this place is much more helpful than what I'm used to, and it's really refreshing! And thank goodness, I still have plenty of time to edit it. I'm homeschooled so I've been very busy with my studies, so I haven't gotten around to editing it.
you guys are also way less strict with your contests- this is probably the best forum site I've been too in a long, long time. :D

(i'm assuming that was directed to me, because of "maybe" // "maybelline" whoops) That's really reassuring, thank you! I wish people back at my other forums were as nice as you guys. Back over there it's drama everywhere. (people stealing, people causing fights, it's a whole mess)

Well, who could it other be...?

Anyway...

Well, you did simple some wrong places chosen..., but here are you safe from such evil people!

A yearly banner contest? The premise isn't bad at all, but having the winning entry of a contest that happens only once a year displayed only for a single day sounds excessively disrespectful. I'd hate to be treated that way, so there's no way I'd subject any member to such a treatment (unless said entry totally bothers us in some way, in which case we wouldn't display it as the forum banner at all).

Actually, we've long considered having a similar contest. Long before the Symphony skin was even born (it's been almost two years now). I'll give you the end of the story first: like most of our plans and ideas, it simply got shelved along with the rest of them as we have our hands too full with other matters. As for the details of the contest (as we had it planned, anyway), we had pretty much calculated the views both of you expressed as well; in particular, the part about us staff having the final veto as well as concerns about the banner looking good.

We had planned to lay out the groundwork for the entries. We were planning to have a fair amount of restrictions, including things such as who (as in which characters) had to be present in the banner, what game―suffice it to say that anime characters wouldn't be sanctioned by Checkmate us, unless they are based on eroge―they came from, which artist(s) illustrated the artwork, what theme the banner should represent, what general colour palette had to be present... things like that. We had even thought of making a certain amount of banners and then have members choose. That way, whichever won, it'd be something that had gained our approval beforehand.

So, yes, in one word: restrictive. On the one hand, we wanted to make sure that the most prominent part of the forum that appears on every single public page was something we'd like to look at. On the other hand, we didn't really feel like making a context with overly cumbersome restrictions and guidelines. It'd feel like we were trying to take advantage of members to work for us instead. Just like that, the idea slowly faded into obscurity.

Also, the banner in and of itself does need to have a fair amount of restrictions and considerations. For example, take a look at the base groundwork for the banner image:
public.php
The base dimensions are 1920x300. See all those vertical lines and colour differences? They denote different widths: 1600, 1440, 1366, 1280, 1024 (as shown on the layer list). Yes, you guessed it right: standard screen widths. While the banner is meant to be best viewed on 1920px-wide screens, we also had to consider other screen sizes (sorry, 2560+px screen users!) to make sure everything within the central focus of the banner is still present even on small screens.

Well, we could for an whole week making, if it better sounds - Dunno, who actually because of it you mentally hurting would, but okay...

And where came the forum's theme topic...? I did just the head banner meant, and not the whole concept...

[...]

Well, welcome [MENTION=117194]OppaiTaisho[/MENTION]; to SOTM!

Sorry, but I've you inform that in [Entries] not allowed is to spam - only here in the [Discussions] - But of course about what with the SOTM to do has, okay^_^?

Delete that post in [Entries] section (via Edit button), and then later may you can with your own entry/work post again, okay?

Last edited:
[MENTION=117194]OppaiTaisho[/MENTION]; to reserve a post to the competition in the entry section isn't appropriate. You can join any time you want until 01/10/2015 so you have 20 day left for you entry. So you have plenty time to make something for entering the competition.

Also welcome to the forum! Have fun staying here!

Sorry for not being around last week. I had to attend a funeral for the first two days, and then I got sick. All better now, though.

I see that we got two more entries. [MENTION=790]Pekie[/MENTION]; you naughty boy. I know that CG image you use, and I know what's happening in that picture. But most importantly, I know what is not shown in the image as you cropped it. ;) As per your usual; neat and simple. If I could be so brazen as to nitpick, though, I don't think people would find serif fonts (fonts with lines on the edges like Times New Roman) natural on a blackboard. But it's not like they'd find a Shirley Warwick in real life either, so it's not that important, really. It's still neat.

And welcome, [MENTION=117194]OppaiTaisho[/MENTION]; to the SOTM. Yours is a rather simple, but nice, blend of an entry―although I must note that you typed "SOTW" instead of "SOTM" and your entry lacks the letters or words "AS" or "Anime-Sharing" (refer to rule #2). I'll be perfectly honest, though: I'm not going to disqualify an entry just because of that. I don't see the point of being too inflexible for things like this, though it'd be nice if you could do as others do and append that. :)

Anyway, the entry itself―that looks like a pretty nice way to effect shading in a not-so-usual way. There's a rather harmonious transition of colours, too. The purplish tree certainly stands out, but even though right next to it is bright blonde hair, it doesn't really look out of place. Ditto for the gradation of shades on the school building. Probably because of the soft light, the gradation and overall mix somewhat gives off spring vibes, reminiscent of the start of a new term (in Japan at least).

Yeah, I guess so. But it's safe to say this place is much more helpful than what I'm used to, and it's really refreshing! And thank goodness, I still have plenty of time to edit it. I'm homeschooled so I've been very busy with my studies, so I haven't gotten around to editing it.
you guys are also way less strict with your contests- this is probably the best forum site I've been too in a long, long time. :D
Not really related to this thread and the SOTM itself, but based on my experience with online communities (or just about any community, really), personal preferences of the key people play a significant role in deciding the overall atmosphere. It's all the more apparent with online forums as they erect rules and guidelines, and barring external factors such as corporate backing, the personal views and ideals of the founders/admins are going to influence how strict this part of the forum should be and how lax this one should be.

[MENTION=2]Ignis[/MENTION]; haha, I'm using Photoshop in single purpose >.<. I'm really weak when come to Font (I barely install Font, except Font that comes with visual novel patch *-*)
weaker than Font are "perspective" and "making BG" almost of my entries are single color BG.
Since theme of SOTM is "back to school" then I choose BG classroom and student(schoolgirl!), you leave me no choice :D
PS. Thanks for your opinion ^^

Last edited:
Thanks nanashi. I'm all better now :)

[MENTION=2]Ignis[/MENTION]; haha, I'm using Photoshop in single purpose >.<. I'm really weak when come to Font (I barely install Font, except Font that comes with visual novel patch *-*)
weaker than Font are "perspective" and "making BG" almost of my entries are single color BG.
Since theme of SOTM is "back to school" then I choose BG classroom and student(schoolgirl!), you leave me no choice :D
PS. Thanks for your opinion ^^
You're welcome. I'm happy to opine. And yes, if on your first day back at school after holidays you encountered someone like Shirley doing something like what she's doing in that image, that could provide motivational boost, maybe.

I can understand; I personally am too lazy to collect fonts myself. I have some packs that I usually get bundled with other stuff from graphics resource sites, but I rarely touch them and often can't be bothered to organise them. There's nothing inherently wrong with having simple and even monochromatic backgrounds, though-simplicity is a very good option at times.

Well, let's await the end and the upcoming topic see, before we still on an decision sticking...:bored:

Hmm... Like your feeling and urge says - make it so... But if you your mind changed have, then drop by...:bored:

i bought my gears a new Nikon D7200 with 3 lens and some Polarised filters and inrared filters for noght shooting. I am awaiting a nice tripode and i am awaiting an extra Flash and another two WiFi Flash for 3 way flashing ;)

Reactions: Anestis
Ah, I see... (I've admit, that I no clue about it have...xD), nice for you then...:bored:

Ah so...? Well, I bet that it a productive conversation was between them...xD

And... Probably some pics from there...?:bored:

yeah i am awaiting some things and i believe at my next ride i would have some nice images :D

Reactions: Anestis
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

nobis_c wrote on Shine's profile.
Also, could you update this one please? The bugs are horrendous and they put many additional features. Thanks.
アノ子は僕の性奴隷
Morisoba1988 wrote on Shine's profile.

[240117][VRゲーム屋さん] 【VR】学びな日常~あなたの部屋が女の子たちのたまり場に!?~ [RJ01133621]

Do you have the latest versions of these?
nobis_c wrote on Shine's profile.
A reupload request. Do you still have this in your database?
お兄ちゃんは私だけのものなんだからっ!!
darkpachon wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
sorry can you upload again [110128] [Studio 邪恋] 操心術0 パッケージ版 is that the links are down
darkpachon wrote on Nihonjaki90's profile.
sorry can you upload again

[121130][STUDIO邪恋] 操心術∞(メビウス)

the links are down