Living in Japan as a (Young) Expat

Would you like to live in Japan?

• Total voters
How one grows up could be influenced from anime... but a 'logical' mindset with some activeness outside and social awareness should help somewhat...

To be 'controlled' by it though... not quite sure myself...

Hmm... living in a world of their own... but yeah... people tend to pick out the worst of the worst and say the everyone similar is like that...

I'm a little confused here.. About the topic... Can any one sheed some light?
My mind is a litttle bit dark after a little school work... Have to write 3 essays, 3 sets of questions, and 1 school drama for the farewel party...

I'm a little confused here.. About the topic... Can any one sheed some light?
My mind is a litttle bit dark after a little school work... Have to write 3 essays, 3 sets of questions, and 1 school drama for the farewel party...

Mostly about how life in Japan is also similar to other countries...

We also discussed about the influences of anime/manga/games etc.

We mentioned outlooks of foreigners, manners, and 'politics'...

Oh.. I see...
About that.... The Anime influence and other things... It's just 'not right' based on 2 years I stay there as a Junior High student, but yeah... My toughts about Japan before I saw the real thing is based on anime so most of my friends think I'm weird at the first time... Hahaha..

About that foreingers outlook things... can you explain it abit more.. My mind is till clouded by the school works...

About that foreingers outlook things... can you explain it abit more.. My mind is till clouded by the school works...

We were discussing about how foreigners, travelers, tourists etc. aren't exactly 'welcomed' into Japan or feel slightly uncomfortable for some Japanese people or others in similar situations...

Of course, if you respect, know some of the language, have manners, etc. it should be pretty fine.

Another thing about foreigners is that Uninstall mentioned how foreigners are usually 'secluded' or not 'accepted' like in schools...

So he said it would be good to join clubs or join in something with other foreign students... Gain some friends and feel a bit more at ease.

Another case about foreigners, is that sometimes they don't have manners or respect for the country they are currently living or visiting...

Last case is how there are groups of people who rally and try to ban/throw foreigners out of their country.

We were discussing about how foreigners, travelers, tourists etc. aren't exactly 'welcomed' into Japan or feel slightly uncomfortable for some Japanese people or others in similar situations...

Of course, if you respect, know some of the language, have manners, etc. it should be pretty fine.

Another thing about foreigners is that Uninstall mentioned how foreigners are usually 'secluded' or not 'accepted' like in schools...

So he said it would be good to join clubs or join in something with other foreign students... Gain some friends and feel a bit more at ease.

Another case about foreigners, is that sometimes they don't have manners or respect for the country they are currently living or visiting...

Last case is how there are groups of people who rally and try to ban/throw foreigners out of their country.

Oh... About that thing...
The first thing that's going to cause that was the first imppresion that you made in the front of the people...

Here are some tips to not get 'secluded' or worse 'alienated' in Japanese School (Baed on personal experience)
1. Try to introduce your self in Japanese language.
2. When some one ask you, try to answer it in Japanese. (If you can't answer it in simple English)
3. Join some club just like Uninstall said.
4. Don't try to act cool. One of my friend said that the don't like a new commoner to act like they own the place already...
5. Try to talk to your classmate for a few times. Like saying 'Hi...', 'Morning..', or something that leads to a conversation.
6. If they ask you to teach them English (This happens to me), help them. But don't act like you are the teacher and they are the students...
7. Ask about your classmates hobby or something he/she likes...

Well.... that's all I can tell..

Reactions: renano
One thing which keeps me wondering: Japan has got this much more work intensive school system. Why is it then in terms of GDP/capita on the same level as the more relaxed West European countries?
Does anyone have suggestion why?

About those things.... Well, can't answer it now.. But I'm still looking for the answer...
Now that you mention it.. hmn.... I wonder why..

Hmm... well for some countries they dont have the resources even if they have longer school hours and stuff... but i dont think thats the case with japan...

Hi, sorry haven't heard much, am on less frequently these days
Also just finished a translation.. Hope you enjoy
Probably my favourite tracks of all time, reflects poor-quality housing, and homeless in downtown Tokyo

Oh... About that thing...
The first thing that's going to cause that was the first imppresion that you made in the front of the people...

Here are some tips to not get 'secluded' or worse 'alienated' in Japanese School (Baed on personal experience)
1. Try to introduce your self in Japanese language.
2. When some one ask you, try to answer it in Japanese. (If you can't answer it in simple English)
3. Join some club just like Uninstall said.
4. Don't try to act cool. One of my friend said that the don't like a new commoner to act like they own the place already...
5. Try to talk to your classmate for a few times. Like saying 'Hi...', 'Morning..', or something that leads to a conversation.
6. If they ask you to teach them English (This happens to me), help them. But don't act like you are the teacher and they are the students...
7. Ask about your classmates hobby or something he/she likes...

Well.... that's all I can tell..

Anyway, yeah, this is pretty much it, I believe, I've never gone to a Japanese school but I though in general it may be harder, I think one of the most important thing is "harmony". As I said before, just keep the spirits up to keep your friends.

Roppongi, huh.... Never been there tough I live in Akasaka while I'm there... So It's quite close since it's still in Minato-kou...

And, hearing that name makes me remember Guilty Crown.. Oh... The ending...

Haha I have no idea what Guilty Crown is, but OK if you say so (・ε・`)
Roppongi is one district of ownage, great parties, spent lots of time there

I've been to Akasaka a few times, I recall one time at the Suntory art museum
also used Maranouchi line quite a lot

Guilty Crown is an anime...

I like the video you posted. The shots they took with the black and white theme really showcased some strong emotion and how certain areas of Japan are.

Last edited:
Voted yes. I've always wanted to go, and I still am planning.

A lot of people give up on their dream of going when they lose passion and then make excuses by calling it "a dream" or "unrealistic" as they settle for normal uneventful lives and 9-5 white collar jobs.

Don't ever listen to those failures. Go out and do what you want.

It's an anime, it's quite good... But the ending, just to sad....

I'm not really interested in museums... Since the descriptions of the displays were some times to 'advance' for me...

Guilty Crown is an anime...

I like the video you posted. The shots they took with the back and white theme really showcased some strong emotion and how certain areas of Japan are.

Ah, I see, did a google search just now, thanks

And also thank you, I really find the track dope as heck, love it so much. The lyrics hit me at times. I remember walking down Roppongi passing the homeless, a tough sight
Roppongi really is a place of the underworld. Yakuza, illegal shops, restaurants and clubs, bad reputation for foreigners. I've borrowed this book from the library a few years ago, was pretty interesting
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=7810624402&searchurl=isbn=0375724893

Voted yes. I've always wanted to go, and I still am planning.

A lot of people give up on their dream of going when they lose passion and then make excuses by calling it "a dream" or "unrealistic" as they settle for normal uneventful lives and 9-5 white collar jobs.

Don't ever listen to those failures. Go out and do what you want.

Thanks for sharing your opinion
I wouldn't say it's a "dream" or "unrealistic" as well, Japan is a country similar to many others in a modern capitalist system, tons of salarymen, some working even before 9 till after 5. Work in Japan is tough as heck, lots is expected of you. Though to be honest I disagree with you about doing whatever you want, entering Japan as a foreigner is tough if you haven't got a good reason to, I don't know much about immigration laws but I know that it's a pain.

If there's one thing that kind of puts me down is foreigners regretting staying in Japan beacuse it's just too different, culturally, socially, and whatnot. And another thing is foreigners that can't adapt.

Other than that, I love Japan, Kanazawa city das whassup, beautiful city, most freindliest people I've ever met

Yo, Uni.. Why don't we make a promise?
In 3 years I'll be there as an university student, and I'll try to meet you there?

How's that bro?

Sounds good, if I'll actually be going there by then ;)

Verstuurd via Tapatalk

Don't know yet, I probably will be staying here in the Netherlands for a while,
I haven't really thought of what I'll be doing once I finish school yet that much, and it's less than a year to go (o・Д・o)

Definately will be heading for a university, thinking of Wageningen here in the Netherlands,
though may go for a study programme abroad, whether it will be Japan or not, I'm not so sure

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

mizuno ai wrote on Otokonoko's profile.
would you please reupload RJ264706? thx
dornhog wrote on Nihonjaki90's profile.
Hi Nihonjaki90, if at all possible, could you reupload https://www.anime-sharing.com/posts/6236814
Thanks so much
carlwangsg wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi, can you please update
✨Shine✨[ちなころ/えるふ茶園][JA/EN/ZH]極限改変・魔法少女ミスティックルーンver.0.3.0β
to ver.0.4.0β?

Thanks.