Ordering Food/Drinks in Japanese ?

Murakumo

百合旅人
Elite Member
Jan 1, 2013
Teach me some of the basic phrases used to order food in Japanese?
LIke "one more gyuudon please!" or "one more drink (alcoholic and non-alcoholic)" or making a series of orders like "I'll have this curry, ramen, and mochi and tea."

Last edited:
Reactions: espiekerella
Teach me some of the basic prhases used to order food in Japanese?
LIke "one more gyuudon please!" or "one more drink (alcoholic and non-alcoholic)" or making a series of orders like "I'll have this curry, ramen, and mochi and tea."

Phrases are different acccording to each shops, rooms, restaurants, cafeterias, etc.

But basically:

:: (Chuumon wa) "Gyuudon Nami" wo Onegai shimasu -- (My order is) "Gyuudon nami", please
:: (Chuumon wa) "Gyuudon Oomori" wo onegai shimasu
:: (Chuumon wa) "Gyuudon Tokumori" wo onegai shimasu

In Yoshinoya (Gyuudon shop), there are three types of gyuudon: "Nami" (standard), "Oomori" (big), "Tokumori" (special, big-special)

:: Soreni, "Sarada" wo onegai shimasu -- In addition, (I want, I order) Salad, (please)
:: Soreni, "Sarada to Misoshiru" wo onegai shimasu -- In addition, (I want, order) Salad and Misoshiru (Miso soup), please
:: Soreni, "A" to "B" to "C" wo onegai shimasu -- In addtion, (I want) A, B and C, please

:: (Chuumon wa) "Gyuudon Nami" wo Onegai shimasu. Soreni, "Misoshiru" wo onegai shimasu

Using "Chuumon wa" makes it clear that it is "order". Without "Chuumon wa": it is ok.

:: "Gyuudon Nami" wo Onegai shimasu. Soreni, "Misoshiru" wo onegai shimasu
:: "Gyuudon Nami" to "Misoshiru" wo onegai shimasu -- (simple expression)

------

:: (Chuumon wa) "Amerikan" wo Onegai shimasu. -- Amerikan == American coffee
---- "Remon Tii == Lemon tea", "Miruku Tii == Milk tea" etc.

:: (Chuumon wa) "Atsukan, hitotsu (ippon)" wo Onegai shimasu. --- "Atsukan" is warmed, hot Japanese Sake, a bottle (used for warming sake)
---- hitotsu (one), futatsu (two), mittsu (three) etc. ippon (1 bottle), nihon (2 bottles), sanbon (3 bottles)

:: (Chuumon wa) "Biiru, ippon (hitotsu)" wo Onegai shimasu. --- "Biiru" is beer. usually bottle. In some shops, cup of beer is available. "ippon" is used for bottle only. "hitotsu (ippai)" is better word for cup beer.

-------

>>"I'll have this curry, ramen, and mochi and tea."

Can you eat these things at the same time.

:: (Chuumon wa) "Karee to Raamen to Mochi" wo Onegai shimasu. -- Usually, Mochi is not available.
:: (Chuumon wa) "Karee, soshite Raamen, soshite Mochi, (ijou)" wo Onegai shimasu. -- Adding "ijou wo" may show these are your order.

:: (Chuumon wa) "Oyako-donburi, soshite Raamen nami, soshite Hiyazake ippai, (ijou)" wo Onegai shimasu. -- Usual Japanese sake, "Hiyazake (cold sake)". Also, "Sake", "Osake", "Nihonshu" are used. But there are cold Sake and warmed (hot) Sake.

You should confirm the name of each dish.

Ocha (Japanese Tea, warm or cold) and water (cold) are usually free in Japanse restaurats etc. Special tea is exception.

:: (Sumimasen) "Ocha" wo kudasai.
:: (Sumimasen) "Ohiya" wo kudasai. -- Free cold water is usually called "Ohiya". You may use "Omizu" or "Mizu ippai" etc. (ippai has two meanings : "one cup" and "full, many".

----------

"wo Kudasai" is used in place of "wo Onegai shimasu". "wo Onegai shimasu" is more polite expression.

there are various shops and situations.

_ mrd

Unless highly sophisticated, the word "onegaishimasu" might actually sound too formal or easily give an impression of a foreigner.

In some of the more informal locations (Food Carts or such), it might be better to use a relaxed tone of voice and informal speech such as "tanomu" (頼む) instead of "お願いします" (onegaishimasu)

As mildis said, speech in Japan is highly conditional, so it might be good to learn about when and where it's appropriate to use such language

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

RXxxxxx wrote on UFO's profile.
Hi,
The latest version of Bloodroot, ver.1.1.5.0, is out. Could you upload this?
Thx!
mobius0417 wrote on Shine's profile.
✨Shine✨[240215][umyn] 異世界転生マジカルチンポ 完全版 [RJ01154724]
Please re-upload
Elaina-San wrote on UFO's profile.
Hii! do you by any chance have this post archive by でじまら or dejimara? FANBOX 2023年05月号 the one that includes Elaina?
Thanks!
Redlof wrote on Shine's profile.
Hello, can you please reupload https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ154687.html & https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ269035.html (mexa or rosefile) & Part 3 of this on mexa if it's not a problem - https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ262921.html (threads too long to link, sorry)