Living in Japan as a (Young) Expat

Would you like to live in Japan?

• Total voters
Yeah, I understand how she feels and why, she does not mind I like anime or Japanese music, or that I want to learn the language, she just gets bothered if I have too many Japanese friends offline and online, she was iffy with me learning Japanese at first, but she still loves and accepts me, and I won't ever need to worry about the Japanese girlfriend thing, because I got a girl like her~!

Lots of Chinese people like Japanese things...like media, games, anime, etc, just not the people!

Well... From my prospective(my point of view about this world... ), there's something wrong with that... come on... what's done is done ,right? If it's because the war(the killing of thousands Chinese people by Japanese in the 2nd WW) then why Japanese people don't hate Americans? They drop a Nuke in 2 major cities and also kills thousands of people, not to mention the radiation that it cause... Why Indonesian (Generally) don't hate the Netherlands? During the Dutch occupation we are forced to work without payment... Many people gets killed during the Dutch occupation...

Well, my point is... History is a reference so that we don't make the same mistake twice... Not some thing that made us hate each other. If they can accept the works, the arts, and the other fun things about Japan, why can't at least say thanks to the Japanese by forgiving them?

Reactions: Uninstall
Your totally right! We need to all love each other an work together! I'm trying to teach her that!

Your totally right! We need to all love each other an work together! I'm trying to teach her that!

You have my support, brother. (Mind if I call you that?)
I can point out things that your girl may like from Japan.. Fashion, Games, Life-style, and etc..etc...
Just PM, I'll andswer it the way I can. (Man I sound like a religious person now... )

Hmm yes... i saw a lot of dislike towards the japanese during their last disaster... :x Seemed to have much less help than certain other countries that had problems...

Housing :x Yeah... thin walls can get annoying and whatnot... some people just dont seem to care...

Last Disaster? Which one?

The housing was quite a problem for me.. Since that thin walls don;t block sound so good, and I have a habit of listening music a little (Wel... the truth is.. max volume.. >_< ) loud... I need to apologize to the whole neighborhood during my first week there.... then I start using headphones and headsets...

That nuclear powerplant thing... :x Lots less action to help them then for the other disasters previously...

Hmm i prefer keeping my music semi quiet~ esp if theres people around...

That nuclear powerplant thing... :x Lots less action to help them then for the other disasters previously...

Partly because it's an information war going on - I don't want to go too deep into this as I don't want to get in trouble for discussing politics but I think there's far more causes for concern going on up there, it's just that it's not published, televised, reported, whatever. I quote straight from an ex-Fukushima cleanup worker here on the behaviour of media, and conditions of workers.

"If someone indicates those problems on the conference, Tepco may just answer “we are going to investigate” or “we ask cooperative companies not to do so.”
And great information never will be reported.
Only the evidences not to damage to themselves will be reported to above for having been subcontracted.
Subcontract companies and dishonesty workers are not only responsible for such this situation but also prime contractor or Tepco.
Even if some workers or the companies were punished severely, this problem would not be solved.
Stern regulations don’t connect the safety measure.
This is the important thing we have to learn from the Train Crash on JR West Fukuchiyama Line(2005), I think.
Tepco has to release weaker people from the pressure that they have to hide their overworks.
This is hard to carry senses of mission on their back for many people, so we must not to impose the pressures of labor conditions or instability of employment."

(Original, in Japanese)

"仮にこうした問題を会見で指摘されても東京電力さんとしては「調査します。」あるいは「そういうことのないよう協力会社にはお願いします。」としか言いようがないかもしれません。
そしてたいした報告は上がってこないでしょう。
多重に業務を委託した分だけ、都合の悪い部分を隠した報告が上がるのです。
こうした状況は正直に報告しない下請けばかりが悪いのではありません。
私は作業員個人や一協力会社に責任を問えば無くなる話だとは思えません。
締め付けを厳しくしても、安全対策にはつながりません。これは 私たちがJR福知山線の脱線事故から学ばなければならないことです。
弱い立場に対しては、仕事のための無理を隠さねばならない厳しさから解放すべきです。
多くの人のためにこの大事故を収束させねばならないという使命感だけでも大変ですから、下請けへ会社の社員には低待遇や雇用不安をプレッシャーとして課してはならない思います。"

But yes [MENTION=13464]lpdcomic[/MENTION], [MENTION=27362]AhGwee[/MENTION] and [MENTION=27188]SainTPrimE[/MENTION] - history should be reference not to do such actions again, and not keep holding grudges many years after. Although you might feel it is a one-sided opinion of your girlfriend (and her family), unfortunately there are the same amount of Japanese as there are Chinese who hold grudges against each other, for example far-right nationalist extrimists such as Zaittokai (Uyoku Dantai)
A wikipedia article here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uyoku_dantai
I think I'll speak about them too sometime

Last edited:
I see you're gaining quite the following...~ ^^ Great to see your work being recognized by others and helping them in any way possible.

Hmm... one thing that interests me are traditions, important dates to remember, festivals, holidays, etc.

Probably because in my culture, we celebrate certain important dates very often and respect and uphold our traditions whenever possible...

The one thing I'm avoiding is arranged marriages... xD Can't believe they still exist~

I see you're gaining quite the following...~ ^^ Great to see your work being recognized by others and helping them in any way possible.

Hmm... one thing that interests me are traditions, important dates to remember, festivals, holidays, etc.

Probably because in my culture, we celebrate certain important dates very often and respect and uphold our traditions whenever possible...

The one thing I'm avoiding is arranged marriages... xD Can't believe they still exist~

Thanks, renano <(_ _*)>
Will definately cover them when I find the time and after I think about them a little. There's plenty of "special" days in Japan, so I suppose I'll try to talk about festivities, national holidays, but most importantly shop opening days

This was one of the strangest things I had to learn!
Haha there's not a "fixed day" in the week that a shop is closed, there is an alternation every week as to in which day it's closed, and for many shops it's different! It's confusing, but I'll definately speak about this later.

And unfortunately arranged marriages do happen in Japan, in high class families, also the Yakuza for example but as a foreigner it's nothing to worry about. The chances are incredibly small that someone would want their child to be married to a foreigner, I'm not trying to be offensive but I believe it's true.

i must say... this is a very good thread! quite detailed in many ways!
many peoples had misunderstanding that living in japan is like a walk in park!
i myself have been lived in japan for years and still not used to it (i always travel around to worlds), which makes me comparing it to other country!

Reactions: Uninstall
And by the way... Where's that topic about the train stuff?

Last edited:
i must say... this is a very good thread! quite detailed in many ways!
many peoples had misunderstanding that living in japan is like a walk in park!
i myself have been lived in japan for years and still not used to it (i always travel around to worlds), which makes me comparing it to other country!

Thank you Animaksiat ! Definately appreciate people sharing their thoughts and opinions here
Yes especially if you're used to moving around quite alot, Japan will be quite the shocker - and can't forget to mention even more if you've been in the western hemisphere for a great deal of our life.

And by the way... Where's that topic about the train stuff?

Sorry for the wait!! Will start with that in a moment (*`∀´*)

You're welcome... but do take your time and try to relax... Don't overstress yourself~ ^^

Type when you feel like it... Your mood can be sensed when you type up certain things especially what words you use to convey. At least, for me that is...~

'Fixed days'... and 'shop opening days'... Sounds like a good read... Will look forward to it if you do type it. ^^

Arranged marriages... I only mentioned it because some families still do it... like mine~ :/

Would be good to hear how certain ceremonial procedures are done... but I can look it up myself~ ^^ You don't need to type that up. Type whatever you want and find necessary, Pachi.~

OK.. Ok.. No need to rush...
And.. Hey.. One of my post is gone?... How come?

Hmm.. I'm not sure - but I saw it though. Maybe accidentally removed it when editting? (*> n <*)

[MENTION=18465]renano[/MENTION] hmm.. I'm not so sure about ceremonial procedures as I've rarely been to some, but in the future I could write about some simple stuff to not make you look like some disrespectful weirdo, what to do when going to shrines, temples..

You're welcome... but do take your time and try to relax... Don't overstress yourself~ ^^

Type when you feel like it... Your mood can be sensed when you type up certain things especially what words you use to convey. At least, for me that is...~

'Fixed days'... and 'shop opening days'... Sounds like a good read... Will look forward to it if you do type it. ^^

Arranged marriages... I only mentioned it because some families still do it... like mine~ :/

Would be good to hear how certain ceremonial procedures are done... but I can look it up myself~ ^^ You don't need to type that up. Type whatever you want and find necessary, Pachi.~

Your family still do arranged marriages?

Your family still do arranged marriages?

Where my family is from, it's not odd to do arranged marriages... You see it less nowadays, but it's still done.

The parents like to choose their future son/daughter in-laws because 'they know best' or that they believe they can find one that is suitable...

Happened to my father, but in the end... he refused the marriage and ran off with my mother... xD I found it romantic, but boy was my father's stepmother (the one who arranged the marriage) really really angry. Still pretty angry to this day...

[MENTION=25346]Uninstall[/MENTION]

Like I mentioned, you don't need to type it up... I can always find the information myself...

Just type what you want and find necessary... ^^

Last edited:
Man.. that thing do sounds romantic... But hey, even I need my parents approval if I'm going to have a girlfriend... Which is I don't mind cause I still depends on them, and most of my girl (3 out of 4... now I'm single but I still have a good relationship as a friend with them...) is approved by my parents... hahaha....

If it happend to you what will you do? \(*_*?)/

Man.. that thing do sounds romantic... But hey, even I need my parents approval if I'm going to have a girlfriend... Which is I don't mind cause I still depends on them, and most of my girl (3 out of 4... now I'm single but I still have a good relationship as a friend with them...) is approved by my parents... hahaha....

If it happend to you what will you do? \(*_*?)/

You sound so lucky... ^^ It's good to have a friendly relationship and have your parents approval...~

If it happened to me... luckily my parents aren't as forceful. They have thought about arranging one for me, but they still respect my decision if I choose someone else. My parents only want is best for me so it's understandable if they desire to choose a husband.

If they were forceful, I'd first try to convince them... If that doesn't work, I suppose I'd run off too. Finding my one true love is difficult, I don't want to let go of that happiness. We should be fine if we plan ahead before running off... like money, location, etc. Always good to be prepared before doing anything like that nowadays. xD

You sound so lucky... ^^ It's good to have a friendly relationship and have your parents approval...~

If it happened to me... luckily my parents aren't as forceful. They have thought about arranging one for me, but they still respect my decision if I choose someone else. My parents only want is best for me so it's understandable if they desire to choose a husband.

If they were forceful, I'd first try to convince them... If that doesn't work, I suppose I'd run off too. Finding my one true love is difficult, I don't want to let go of that happiness. We should be fine if we plan ahead before running off... like money, location, etc. Always good to be prepared before doing anything like that nowadays. xD

Well, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree... hahahaha...

Well... If it's already the word love... that we are talking about, there is no more tolerance...
Just like the Opening of 2nd season The World God Only Knows..

"God only knows. Find your love, find your way, for your life"

Am I right? or am I right?

You are right~ ^^ Hard to argue about that.

Sorry Pachi... we overran your thread with our discussion...~ xD

Yes it is true that there is both sides to the hatred, but hey, I still think we need to accept and love each other, Chinese and Japanese are related originally anyways!!!! I understand how my girlfriend feels, but I just want to help open her eyes, maybe I can introduce her to some really nice Japanese people I know!!!!

The guy above me is absolutely right...

By the way... Can any one help me finding the BlazBlue OST... all of them if you can... I need it for my cosplay performance next week... Oh.. Yeah... Uninstall, Sorry that I spam all over your thread... hahahah.. we're still cool right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

Erik7777 wrote on Otokonoko's profile.
Would you upload RJ01167156? thx
geometry622 wrote on UFO's profile.
Heya, Would it be possible for you to upload https://fantia.jp/posts/2987578 ?
Thank you
Kateni wrote on Shine's profile.
Jelly-filled Donut wrote on zhonyk's profile.
May I humbly ask for a reupload of this? The links are dead
香慈と裏ノ世界
Jelly-filled Donut wrote on caminante654's profile.
Excuse me, may I humbly request you to reupload the dead links of this title?
さくらちゃん はじめてのおるすばん