[LPW#72] i won? sorry for the wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh, I don't have a PSN account lol.
For all, I pretty much use one of my friends from time to time. I just spend way too much time in front of my laptops multitasking something worth the time than that.

Anyway, im done for today. Jaa ne~

Last edited:
well i wasn't leaving. i was just saying hi. if people can use goodmorning, and goodafternoon as a greeting, i can use goodnight lol

[MENTION=40801]infamous[/MENTION]; I didn't recognize you at first! What happened to Spice and Wolf?

[MENTION=40801]infamous[/MENTION] Well that's clever you use goodnight lol

[MENTION=40801]infamous[/MENTION]; cool, is that a H-Game?

Communicating poorly and then being misunderstood isn't really cleverness. Just an FYI XD

But heya infamous and others~

it's a VN with a lot of gameplay. and the gameplay is actually pretty good too.

Hmm people usually use good evening? :goodtea: Same thing but its a greeting and not parting words ;p

Go back to understand... theres not much~ Those two were just destroying my bed while i was sleeping :traitor:

Re-reading my last post just clued me in on something I should have noticed a long time ago... XD

The actual way that 'a' vs 'an' works. It is based on sounds, not the actual proceeding letters.

That is why it is wrong to use an before words like university, because it makes a "yew" sound, where y isn't counted as a vowel.

It is correct to use it before FYI, because in this case F makes an "eff" sound.

EDIT: this makes even more obvious sense when you realize that this started in conversational English, not written. XD

yeah, but it's still based on the sound of a vowel

I already added two edits, which you may not have seen. :P

So yeah, it is based on the sound, not the writing itself. I first thought of something like this a few days ago when I saw someone wrote "an urinal" and my instant reaction was that it was wrong, but I wasn't exactly sure why it was wrong. :)

Hmm... so teachers have been teachin wrong the whole time ;p Or english just has too many exceptions to rules =w=

well urinal does have the Y sound, and y is only sometimes a vowel......

Yes exactly!

It is just that my seeing that I naturally typed "an FYI" suddenly clued me in to what the real underlying rule was.

[MENTION=8332]samyeung46[/MENTION]; well it will work for most instances, and the 'true' rule is a little harder to explain. Basically if the word in spoken English sounds like something we normally attribute to a vowel sound, then you use an, would be a loose way of putting it.

If it isn't totally obvious, I am a huge nerd for neat mind-game stuff like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread